Pineconeplace

 Pinecone

6.19.2010

Recipe for Father's Day (Caramelized Onion Dip)...

Tomorrow it's Father's Day... a day for HIM! .... Rule no. 1... make his favorite dip so he has something to eat while watching golf, baseball, motocross, Wold Cup soccer, and any other sport he can find... To be honest with you I didn't know there were so many different sports until I married him. And I found there were more than that when we got cable!
I got this recipe from my cousin, Sue years ago. I think I might have altered it a bit, but regardless, it is one staple in our family when we entertain. Gather the ingredients. Chop the onions. The rest I will list below. I got the best advice from a friend years ago... after chopping onions, wash your hands and rub them on metal. We have a hot water spout on our sink that is metal and I just use that. It's amazing. It takes ALL of the onion scent off of you. I swear. Don't know how it works... it just does!


Mmmmm.... this is the point where I wish I had doubled the batch so we could have BBQ hamburgers with caramelized onions the next night.


My neighbor, Debbie gave me my own Pyrex measuring cup. I had small ones, but never one large enough to make the whole dip. One day she just rang my doorbell and said "surprise"... and it was mine. My first big Pyrex measuring cup... And I only had to wait 46 years to get one.
Thanks Debbie... Love ya!


Caramelized Onion Dip (a man's dip!)

2 sweet onions, peeled and sliced and chopped into 1 1/2" slices
1 Tblsp. vegetable oil
1 Tblstp. butter
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 c. sour cream
1 c. mayonnaise (my husband will only eat Best Foods)
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix


Heat pan and add oil and butter. Melt. Add onions. Cook on medium heat for 25 minutes. Turn heat down if the brown too quickly. After they are golden brown, add the balsamic vinegar. Cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes. Remove pan from stove. In bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise and onion soup mix. Then add caramelized onions. At this point I put it in Tupperware (or Glad containers) and refrigerate for at least two hours. It's reallly good the second day... that's why I made it today... for Father's Day tomorrow. The photo I showed you above was not chilled yet. And yes, it is okay to sample it at this point. My 9 year old son says you have to do that so you know it is not poisonous... he also claims he has to do that with all dessert items!
Serve with potato chips. I prefer Baked Lays. Greg prefers Wavy Lays. Our kids prefer Ruffles. In honor of Father's Day... Wavy Lays it is!!
Make sure to serve your man a cold beer with this dip... and give him the remote... and tell him to put his feet up. After all... you will be rewarded for your efforts in 11 months when Mother's Day rolls around again.
-Tracy

ps. The Fisher beer glasses were ordered on line about 5 years ago. I cannot remember the website, but if you Google "personalized beer glasses" you will find them. I gave them to all the men in our family one year for Father's day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Promote your blog