Pineconeplace

 Pinecone

5.26.2010

Egg on your pizza

via Sunset Magazine




The February issue of Sunset Magazine included a section on pizza. The article said that a top trend in the pizza world is cracking an egg (or 4 in my case) on your pizza just before it comes out of the oven. Never to be one to shy away from a "Top Trend" I figured it deserved a try. Sunset made some suggestions that would combine well with the eggs; things like potatoes, pancetta, fontina, and rosemary.

I didn't make my own pizza dough....I cheated and used Trader Joe's plain crust pizza dough (available in the refrigerated section.) I preheated the oven to 400 degrees, and then rolled out the pizza dough. I used olive oil brushed on the dough in place of pizza sauce. I then added some minced garlic and rosemary. On top of that I put a layer of thinly sliced red potatoes. The potatoes cook up really nicely due to the high baking temperature. I fried up a 1/4 lb of diced pancetta and added that on top of the potatoes. I also added a small amount of diced tomatoes. I used a mixture of mozzarella and parmesan cheese for the top. You could also add some green onion like in the top picture. Bake the pizza for 8-10 minutes. Pull the pizza out and crack 1 or 2 or 3...my pick was 4 eggs on top of the pizza (I broke the yokes too) ... put the pizza back in the oven for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove pizza and enjoy.


This pizza is delicious!
Ashlyn

1 comment:

 
Promote your blog