Pineconeplace

 Pinecone

4.21.2010

cupcakes for dinner?




Whoever said you can't have cupcakes for dinner?

It was just one of those days.... The kids were busy. Greg was still at work. I had a moment to myself so I looked at my list of "50 things to do before I am 50" and noticed one of the items was achievable that day... Bake the KEY LIME CAKE from Trisha Yearwood's recipe in the April issue of Redbook Magazine. I bought the ingredients. I even purchased real Key Limes (didn't realize they were so little.... and took a lot longer than real limes to squeeze). I thought it would be fun to make them into cupcakes. After all, I rarely feel bad while eating a cupcake... . but a cake??? Guilt would set in! So, cupcake it was!!! I poured the batter into the cups and still had some left over. Why not also bake a mini cake. I needed a prop for our photo shoot the next day anyway. The only "mini" pan I could find was a springform pan. Yes, the batter will leak out the bottom... and yes, it will puff up on the sides and collapse in the middle. That must be why Trisha Yearwood did not list springform pan anywhere in her recipe instructions. When all was said and done, the cupcakes were adorable and the mini cake was funny looking. Once I frosted them, I thought to myself... why didn't I follow the actual instructions and make a beautiful 3-layer masterpiece...and...how can I fill that hole in the center of the mini cake. Hmmm.... coconut... toasted coconut! It was my own addition to the cake. Low and behold it all looked fabulous (at least to me). The best part? I got to share the cake with friends (thanks Ashlyn for having us to dinner... and thanks for the photos, Bradie... http://www.bradiekphotography.com/... we had a blast). I also got to cross off one of my "50" items from my list. And did I mention my family thought I was amazing? Then of course.... last, but certainly not least, I got to eat a cupcake for dinner.... no protein... no veggies.... just a delicious cupcake!

Tracy
TRISH YEARWOOD'S KEY LIME CAKE RECIPE
from Redbook Magazine (April 2010)
CAKE:
1 3oz. pkg lime flavored gelatin
1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 c. sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. orange juice
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. key lime juice
(from about 25 small key limes or 4 large regular limes)
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour three 9" round cake pans. In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, OJ, lemon juice and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans. Bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto racks. While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confectioner's sugar together. Pour over layers on racks. Poke cake with fork holes to allow glaze to soak in. Cool cake completely before icing.
CREAM CHEESE ICING:
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, room temp.
1 8oz. bkg. cream cheese, room temp.
1 1lb. box of confectioner's sugar
Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in confectioner's sugar until smooth. Spread icing between layers. Stack layers and frost top and sides of cake.
Tracy's version.... Add 2 c. toasted coconut to top. Refrigerate. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Promote your blog